Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Faith and Friendship

Today I went to the funeral of a dear friend. It was the first time I had been asked to sing at a funeral by the person who was dying. I was proud to have such a wonderful friend and would have done anything for her.

There are moments in all our lives, no matter what we do, that there is comfort in knowing someone out there believes in what we do. It can be a source of great strength and moreover when that someone is not a relative and has nothing to gain by our success. In moments where I may doubt myself I am thankful to have those pillars around me.

My friend was a true friend of the arts. She was very supportive and surrounded herself with beauty. One son is a wonderful photographer and I found out today an eloquent writer/speaker; another son a collector of technologies preserving history. One daughter-in-law a beautiful harpist, the other is a creative fabric artist. Whenever I would visit her in the town where she lived I was welcomed in the warmest fashion. She would inquire about how my music career was going with the keenest interest. The sparkle in her eyes and the radiance of her smile would top me up and keep my faith alive. After all, a life in art is about faith. Faith drove me here and faith keeps me here; I am grateful to my profession as it obliges me to examine what I believe in on a regular basis.

So I raise a glass to my friend. I will keep her with me; love her always with the knowledge that my life is forever changed from knowing her.

No comments:

Post a Comment