Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Artists are entrepreneurs

Personally I think all artists need to understand that their survival depends on their being able to develop the entrepreneur part of themselves. If unable to do so then you must make an alliance. Either way the notion of surrounding yourself with good people can not be understated. Being self employed never meant doing everything all the time by yourself. It simply means taking responsibility for what happens to you.

Being self employed also means having the ability to see what you do as a service or product. This detachment affords a different perspective and may give you a new outlook on what you do. Certainly I find it useful when meeting a prospect to show up with my portfolio to discuss the range of what I do. When things work out it is because there is a fit between what they are looking for and what you offer. It is a good idea to find out what your prospects have in mind before you meet with them.

If you want to get more work and you don’t know how, get help, hire a sales coach. I have an excellent one: Claude de Rouyn who has been instrumental in tuning up the way I work and the tools I use so that I am more effective. Around us we may have many people who are willing to contribute to our success: people who can write or edit information we distribute, graphic artists, photographers, a friend who works in marketing. Although an option for some, we don’t always have to surrender everything over to an agent. A good friend or sibling can be a perfect manager if they really believe in what you are doing and are willing to work effectively.

If you dread doing what you have to do to get work in your art, just imagine every step takes you closer to what you love to do. The freedom and flexibility I have contributes to my creativity and that makes me happy. Isn’t happiness what it is all about?

No comments:

Post a Comment