Friday, March 13, 2009

How did I get here anyway?

Today as I went about my business, and I do mean business, I pondered on the whole picture of making a living doing what you love. I remember my husband (before he was my husband) would say to me when I was toying with the idea of doing music full time, "If you can think of anything else you would rather do, do that instead." He was not saying it to discourage me but rather to fend off the potential, "why did I waste my time" feeling that can come from the disappointment of not having a career like Celine Dion or Michael Bubblé. Lucky me I could not think of anything I wanted to do more. More so I was willing to let go of a lot to let this piece of me flourish.

Today a good 13 years later there is still nothing I would rather do. Let’s be clear it isn't like I can't do anything. I worked in sales and in marketing; I am a chocolatier; I make beautiful soaps coveted by my dear friends and no one refuses a meal at my house because I learned to cook because I love to eat and feed people.

Do I envy Celine Dion and Michael Bubblé? Of course any independent singer or artist would appreciate the conditions in which they are able to work at their craft. For those of us who struggle it can seem pretty attractive but I also appreciate the freedom of being self-employed that comes with the responsibility of providing for myself. I don't have to be in front of 20,000 people to feel successful. Success can be as simple as seeing two people holding hands with a glimmer in their eyes as they walk out of your show. It is about sharing that gift we have with others. After all gifts are for giving I always say.

Ciao,

Bianca

1 comment:

  1. You're right! There's nothing like doing what you love and loving what you do. Sometimes, a pay for the heart goes hand in hand with a check in the bank.

    ...don't you just love those moments when you get to say "And I get paid to do this!"?

    La Diva

    ReplyDelete