Thursday, March 12, 2009

In the beginning

Here I am writing my first Blog. I use technology as a tool but was tempted to use technology as a means of expression.

First some back story to explain the title of my blog. I am the torched one as I am a singer, a torch singer some might say. I have been singing for a long time and have been a full time musician since 2002. It is no exageration to say that it can be a challenge. Here in Canada, culture was an important element in defining who we are. Originally I am from Winnipeg where there are more artists per capita than any other city in Canada. There is always live music somewhere and theatre and the ballet manages to survive just fine. It makes for an interesting place to grow up.

Often we hear about the status of artists in this and other countries. It is a challenge for many to survive and most need to keep a day job or be married to someone who has a day job to get by. I hope this blog becomes somewhat of a forum for my fellow musicians, painters, actors, sculptors, etc. to express their state of affairs and how they manage to live their art and their lives.

Ciao,

Bianca

3 comments:

  1. I get where you are coming from (yes, I'm from Winnipeg too and I don't think we realize how lucky we were to live there!). Here are my thoughts, although I don't actually work in the arts (I am self-employed, however). I think it is challenging for any self-employed person or entrepreneur, including those in the arts, to make a living -- not only are economic realities challenging, but it sometimes seems that you have to abandon your values to sell a product or service in today's society. What happened to the ethical presentation of a person's skills and capabilities? -- it's as if we have to become more and more "slick" to get through people's lack of enthusiasm. A sad reflection of our society. Maybe this recession will wake people up?

    Monique (Life and Business Coach)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bianca!
    Glad to see you're bloging , its a great tool and fun creative outlet, have fun with it , I'll be following!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bianca, WElcome to the Blogging life. I ahve my own Artist blog you might want to check out. I'm following yours now.

    Take care,

    Kieron

    ReplyDelete