Thursday, April 16, 2009

The arrival of spring

I do enjoy the crunch of dry snow under my feet and the purplish light of those short winter days but would gladly invite into my life a gig that takes us to a warm place for January and February. However with spring the garden is always a source of inspiration. After the cold slumber of winter, awakens life everywhere we look. We see proof that life is renewable, that something is being transformed even when we see nothing above ground. We even see how "whatever we sow in the ground must die before it is given new life" as the seed you sow is not what comes out of the ground but a new creation entirely.

Well that's it isn't it: creation, orchestrated by God. We are part of that. Somehow our ego allows us to presume we can be great creators too. Maybe we can. I had a wonderful teacher, Kenny Werner, who attempted to get us to be a vehicle for the music that was already within us. It is based on the ability to let go of our ego even for just a few moments and allow the creative force to come through us. I have had that experience on occasion. There are nights when you couldn’t hit a wrong note if you tried. Where everything comes out sounding amazing and the feeling is connected with something greater than me.

A few nights ago I went to see Andras Schiff play three Beethoven pieces at the National Arts Centre in Ottawa. He was alone at the piano. His years of study, practice and dedication combined with talent were our guarantee that each piece would be rendered justly. As I am a visual person, I always like to watch the performer's faces. I took out my little binoculars and set my eyes upon the artist. I saw it. With my own eyes I saw the expression of pure joy radiating from his being, coming through the music. All his enjoyment within the moment brought me to elation. Even as I sit at my computer and return to that memory I feel all of that beauty fill me up. Was that creation? Was it the vehicle for creation?

From many sources I am told to seize the day or more precisely enjoy the moment I am in. So I go out and admire what new life is emerging in the garden. I open the screen so my son and I can touch the buds and tender leaves on the lilac outside my window. I spend more time laughing and do my best to find compassion within my self for all of those I meet. A new me is emerging after the darkness of winter? To quote Paul Johnson author of Creators, “It is a privileged life no matter how hard and arduous a process it may be.”

No comments:

Post a Comment