Tuesday, July 21, 2009

8 Days A Week

My daughter points out to me that the Beatles have made a mistake as there are only 7 days in the week. Ah the mind of a child is so literal and things are so obvious. I did explain to her the poetry in that phrase. She nodded her head, eyes looking toward the sky saying, "Okay, okay."

Is it only my child? No. I see so many students, teenagers and such on whom poetry and the double entendre so masterfully applied in the past is just lost. There are so many times a student has returned from an assignment to say, "I don't understand what they are saying in this song." I think I will go teach a course on this subject for wannabe singers. As much as I am an advocate to say what you mean and mean what you say, I believe the best songs are those that can be interpreted from more than one perspective. It gives power to the singer and to the listener to make it their own. It is how a good lyric can reach out to so many different people and keep them listening 8 days a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment